Saturday, June 16, 2007

For The Dads...

In a world where it's often hard to find a good example to follow, I have to tell you I am blessed beyond measure to have many. I am surrounded by such godly men that I would have a difficult time straying very far off of the straight & narrow road. What a blessing to feel protected & guided, what a great gift from God to have these men in my life. I'll have to start with my own Daddy. About to be 85 and still running circles around most of us. I've been blessed not only to have been the recipient of his tender loving care, but also to have always watched him care so much for everyone around him. He was a wonderful son to his parents, making countless trips back to Dublin to care for his father when he had cancer & his mother in all those long years that followed when she missed Pop so much & hated to be alone. He served our country 21 years in the Air Force, and you would be hard pressed to find a more distinguished officer. He taught school for many years after that & I loved knowing he was just down the hall if I needed him. He has served as an elder in the church there for about 40 years. And I do mean serve. He is always doing for others. He sets the example for "if they want you to go with them one mile, go with them two." And he is still busily working at the courthouse where he has many friends & a few admirers, too. He is also a hoot. I mean if you haven't seen his funny side you are missing out. He is hilarious. A great husband, a great daddy, a great grandfather & great great- grandfather. I could go on & on. I am also blessed to have a great father in law. Paw Paw as he is known around here. Some more big shoes to fill. He also sets a great example in service & love for others. I remember them making almost weekly trips to Longview as they cared for their parents there. He too served in the military, the Navy. They are both a part of that great generation of men that helped bring our country through some very dark times. He worked for many years after that, driving his Volkswagen bug to Irving everyday to the Exxon plant. He is a great example of the "just do it" philosophy of life. Humbly carrying out everyday the work God has given him to do. Even though he has been retired many years, he is not one to be idle. He always been there to help with the grand kids, or to help you paint or repair things. He always seems to know how to do anything. He served for many years as an elder, until health problems made it necessary to take a break. But he is still a shepherd & there is no question about that. He also raised a very fine son, who I am blessed to have as the daddy to my own children. He shares the same servant leader traits as our own fathers do. The same work ethic, the same sense of humor, the same love for God & family, the same self-sacrificing spirit that they have modeled for us all of these years. I've been blessed to be his wife for 29 years now. He is the real deal. What you see is what you get. Hard working, I mean if he says he'll do something get out of the way. He will do it 150%. He loves the Lord, his family, friends, etc. He is more tender-hearted than most people realize, but tough enough to be a leader in a company where there are so many depending on his wisdom. I sometimes forget how much pressure he is under at work providing for all of us. We are blessed daily by his self-sacrifice & perseverance. I'm so proud of him. And I have to also say how proud I am when I watch our own son, Matt, be a father. It is the sweetest blessing. He is such a great husband & father. Jack adores his daddy. He lights up when he comes home from work & is just a little shadow of him for the rest of the day. How blessed to watch him be the one who is strong, yet also loving & playful. And in just a few days we get to meet his new little son, Sam. Getting Sam here has been a long road. Christine has suffered so much through this pregnancy that she deserves an Olympic medal! I have never seen anyone go through more with such grace, but that is another blog. Matt has been there right by her side. Spending countless nights at the hospital. Remodeling a house. Spending time with Jack. And did I mention, he does have a full time job. Yes he does a great job working at our church. After all the years growing up where he drew all over the bulletin during church, now I get to pick up a bulletin each week that he has designed. It's really more like a 6-8 page magazine. I get to drive by billboards that he designed, see his posters all over the church, and people running around in T-shirts that have his designs on them. He is so talented, so sorry if I'm bragging but.... OK, I'll stop now. I give all glory & praise to my Heavenly Father, and thank him with all my heart for blessing me with such great earthly fathers. Happy Fathers Day!!!!

4 comments:

Linda said...

Kathy, you are blessed to have 3 generations of Godly men.....and what great examples for Jack and Sam.
Love you, Linda L.

Unknown said...

So many blessings! I am so proud to watch as Matt fathers so well. And I know that Ray will be doubly blessed when Sam arrives, his little namesake! We love you all!
Hugs!

jody said...

I loved your post, sister dear. Our father spoiled us, didn't he? We expected our "men" to act like daddy did, and I think we did pretty well, huh? Our husbands are such a blessing, as are our sons! How very blessed we are! Tomorrow we'll be thanking God, once again, for the men in our lives. I love you, Jody

Lynn said...

Oh my. I am a little tearful as I read this. A flood of memories of 3 sweet little girls ( well 2 sweet little girls and another one ) who snuggled in a most wonderful home with wonderful parents oblivious that the entire world did not share in our "little heaven". Remember when Daddy would get up hours earlier than we would and light the gas heaters so we wouldn't be cold? I just remember those white boxers flashing through the early morning haze! I am so proud to be your sister. I also love your precious Ray Clark Griswold. He is the real deal. I don't know if I have ever ever told him how special he is to me. For alot of reasons but the main one is that he loves my sister and takes such good care of her. That he has always realized your precious and gentle spirit and love. And together you have raised sons that I adore. And the Whit. But, you are right. Matt is an awesome combination of his daddy and his 2 pops. He is an incredibly talented man of God and I can't wait to visit and see his work around. I'll be busting with pride. You are all in our prayers this weekend as Monday comes close. I LOVE YOU ALL!